Tuesday, April 22, 2014

Getting to Know Me Better

WORD FOR THE DAY - www.gratefulness.org
Tuesday, Apr. 22

When you do things from your soul, you feel a river moving in you, a joy.

Jalaluddin Rumi, translated by Coleman Barks
We Are Three.
(e-cardqQuote: Lao Tzu, 6th Century B.C., Photo: Rugger Burke)
WORD FOR THE DAY - www.gratefulness.org
Theda Parks Sometimes.. feeling safe within boundaries of what we know (or perceive)about ourselves can be very comforting, but also limiting. During my six-week trip out West last summer, I wanted to do at least one thing that terrified me.. so I chose to get in a hot air balloon. Oddly enough, just taking the steps, making the phone call to set it up made most of the fear leave me. The ride was nothing I had previously envisioned. To say it was liberating is a really big understatement. I would do it again. It opened the self-imposed gate to freedom. It was all good. XOXO
 
Ron Alexander Good for you Theda Parks! I really admire you. thanks for your support and inspiration. They used to float over Napa State Hospital where I worked, and when there was not enough wind (or hot air?) the baskets would bounce off the knoll tops - shaking up the passengers. I have heard of injuries occurring like that, so I don't plan any rides on them. I have proved myself with enough dangerous activities like hang-gliding, mountain climbing (hiking to mountains with Grizzlies, Moose, Cougars, snakes and marijuana farmers) lots of free diving with sharks around, blue water sailing, skiing, et. al. so feels good to not have to prove my "manhood" anymore!
 
Theda Parks Hey.. it took me 70 years to do it! XOXO
 

Ron Alexander Alright Theda Parks, like I say I admire you! I am turning 70 in Oct. and plan for it to be awesome start of something very new and probably daring? In fact this past year I pretty much gave up my life of economic privilege, and this may have been the most daring move yet. I may write a book on True Privilege/Wealth?
 

Theda Parks What would have prompted such a decision? XOXO

Ron Alexander Short version Theda Parks: "liberal" is a dirty word in rest of my family - they wake up to Faux Fatcat news and go to bed with it! And they hate Obama! And you can imagine the rest of story? Then 2 trophy "wives" - one I married and the other I didn't thankfully. This time last year I was living in million dollar beachhouse, and driving a Passat TDI plus a Volvo "boat wagon". Like I said, I might write a book about whole process - for my growth and understanding of privilege...


 
Theda Parks Not sure what your family's political preferences have to do with you.. other than they might want you to conform to their thinking. Being of similar age and raised by very conservative parents myself, I do understand the pressure that can be applied. Was there any love involved with the "trophy wife/girlfriend"? Just trying to understand here.. were the toys (beach house, cars, etc.) in addition to yourself, or was that your identity at that time? I'm not saying money can't be an issue, but only if we give it power in a wrong way. Your postings have been very clear you are on a different kind of search internally, and I take my hat off to you. You just don't have to be poor to have a different experience. In fact, it gives you the opportunity to put $ in a place that will do a lot of good and feed your heart too. Again--these are only observations based on what I've been reading. I don't really know you on a personal level, so please understand.. there's no intention to step on any toes or ruffle feathers. Just trying to know you better. Namaste XOXO
 

Ron Alexander No, Theda Parks - the main thing, since letting go of my families' fortune, I feel better about myself. I am happier and starting to feel successful! That sense of privilege was great security growing up and in all my adventures. However, there was something false about it - it was feeling secure in my future inheritance, and not really in myself. With my two "trophy partners", there was lust mainly, and then them wanting what I had - material things - I found it was not me, but my toys and possessions that attracted them more than anything. However, I was guilty of using my possessions to attract women too. Now, that I have nothing left to lose, I know the right person will come into my life or not. I am getting happier and happier with myself, the more I live mindfully in the moment! Oh, I would love to be rich again, however more importantly is feeling that way independently. thanks for trying to get to know me better!


A River of Joy Moving in You

When you do things from your soul, you feel a river moving in you, a joy.

Jalaluddin Rumi, translated by Coleman Barks
We Are Three(gratefulness.org)
 
Evelyn Leonard Wright yes, a most precious joy!!!
 
  • Ron Alexander thanks Evelyn - almost have my bilge cleaned out - whole boat will be looking good for possible buyer tomorrow. You would like her, she is a vet. who plans to use boat as some kind of therapy boat for vets. in the Bahamas! Hope she can afford FLYING FREE?
  • Evelyn Leonard Wright Man, I hate to see you part with your boat, Ron--but sometimes, that's the way it should be--hopefully, she can afford it, too! and hey! aren't you a vet? I imagine she could take you for a sail or two once in a while! right?
     
  • Ron Alexander Did you not hear Evelyn Leonard Wright that I have something called Mienere's disease - inner ear problems that cause vertigo. I am just not comfortable sailing anymore. Also, the expenses around my boat led to me missing out on a scholarship to study with a meditation master teacher at Omega. Also, I was reminded by a young man at health food place how messed up my skin was by sun poisoning last summer. And yes, possibly I may be able to join with her in the Bahamas, if my condition becomes cleared. I was diagnosed over 2 years ago and then it went away for over a year and a half. Then I came up with an inner ear infection with a bad cold in Feb. and it came back, and has stayed with me since. I am feeling good about new adventures though, thanks for replying dear Evelyn!
     
     


     

    No comments:

    Post a Comment